In Between Dreams

My personal experiences with the phenomenon known as lucid dreaming.

Pre-Project

Published by Damian under , , , on Saturday, November 01, 2008
Having officially decided to start this project on October 31st, 2008, I only have some methods that I'm going to strive to use tonight as opposed to any sort of results. Actually, before I knew the idea of "dream journals" existed I decided to try to write down ideas from a dream sort of haphazardly. I did actually get something, although incomplete and cryptic as I wasn't sure how to do it at the time. Here it is, "break wrists in some sort of match [probably a fight or struggle], people gather, laugh, ask questions, no answers". Normally I remember 1 or 2 dreams rather vividly without trying to record them but last night I only got that cryptic sort of dream, at least, that's what I wrote before I knew any strategies.

As mapped on multiple strategies, there are 2 main things that must be established to fully lucidify a dream. The first is to actually have a way of remembering dreams. The first step of that turns out to realize you're having dreams, which fortunately I already am past. The next part of that is to find a way to remember dreams to fully bring out the results of the other procedures. While waking up correctly and remembering in trained circumstances will come with practice, a good way to start is to write down or verbally record the dream experience. The best way of doing this is with your eyes closed and as little movement as possible as your brain may still be focused primarily on that dream and optimally be prepared to re-enter into a similar state should that be desired. For whatever reason I wake up probably a dozen times a night and have a firm grasp on the dream I had previously. After multiple awakenings, some of the previous dreams become distant and too vague. This is where a thorough recording would probably spark details that would cause recogition. I think I'm going to set up Audacity tonight and give that a go and hope for the best.


The 2nd part which I will focus on should the opportunity to show itself is to establish the dream as a dream. Obviously, as in real life, you don't question if life is real all the time, so in a dream you wouldn't either. However, if you go to bed with the intention of lucidly dreaming and follow known methods [which I'm not going to do the first week or so most likely], you may come to the realization that you can check and actually verify something as a dream. There are ways to do that, as listed on multiple sites, but the main ones are:
  • Look at a clock or anything that has changing number, like a watch or a thermometer. Anything in sight that has a digital display or varies throughout the day. Then look away from the object and then back at it. In almost every real life experience the number will be the same. If you do this rechecking yet again the results actually magnify to a 95% chance of changing. After all, your mind isn't dreaming because it's trying to keep track of time, it's merely coming up with something you've seen or can reason. Additionally, if the item has something that it shouldn't, ie a watch having letters it could not have, you are also in a dream.
  • Try putting your fingers on one hand through your other hand. Surprisingly this works well and because of the impossibility of the situation is an instant cue.
  • Look at your hands and feet in relation to other things. Supposedly your hands and feet can look strange in many situations if you actually concentrate on them in dreams.
  • Imagine your surroundings. You're not really anywhere in a dream, therefore you could be ANYWHERE. Try to imagine the surroundings changing, whether from a standing position or through a door, etc. Heck, trying this in real life wouldn't hurt, yeah?
My Blog isn't a scientific paper and I don't plan on using other's research such as what is reported on Lucidity, so please go there to get a better explanation of anything mentioned, or email me.

Another huge item is something known as a Dream Sign. Everyone has different dreamsigns, something that can be recognized in a dream recurring more than once that is a sure sign that you're dreaming. This is the quickest way to realizing a dream as a dream, however, in a dream strange things are rarely [at least naturally] looked at and thought of as actually being weird. Establishing dream signs are sure fire ways of speeding up this process.

And with these ideas I shall leave this post. Tomorrow I shall give any results I have and work from there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers